Sunday, April 30, 2006

Post surgery report

It has been one year since they put in the rod and made my femur 3/4" longer. It has been hard, but it definately made things better. Maybe I'll be less of a criple when I get to be an old man. Last Tuesday I went in for surgery and they took the rod and the four screws out of my leg. It was an out-patient surgery and I was even able to walk a few steps later that day. So much easier than last years surgery. I will be pretty sore and limping for a few weeks, but at least I can walk. The surgery wasn't quite as easy as expected. For some reason the physician who placed the rod didn't put an end cap on it. That left some threads for the bone to grow into. It took the other physician an hour to remove all that growth around the threads to remove the rod. Once he did that it took two minutes to get the rod out. When I go for my postop visit next week I get to take the rod home. That will be interesting. Now I just have to survive on narcotics and help from Marisa until I the swelling and soreness goes down enough to get around normally. :)

No comments: