Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Naughty boy

Beckham almost gave me a heart attack this morning. I was vacuuming and he was playing in his room, and Carson called on the phone so I turned off the vacuum. I thought it was awfully quiet so I went to check on Beckham and he was nowhere to be found. I searched the house and found the laundry room light on so I went in and the door to the garage was slightly ajar. I ran out and saw the garage door wide open and no Beckham. I ran around the neighborhood for a while in my sweatpants and ratty tee shirt and messy hair and no makeup, and couldn't find him so I went up to the park. The ladies there said he hadn't been there but one girl had seen two little boys in my garage, one fitting Beckham's description and another wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt. I thought that was weird since Trevor was at school, and the ladies went down the street with me to help me look. Just then the neighbor across the street burst out of her house asking if we'd seen her little boy in a blue hooded sweatshirt. He had been playing in the backyard and slipped into the neighbor's yard through a broken board in the fence and gone out their open gate. It's the strangest thing that both of the boys managed to get out of the house at the same time - Beckham has never gone out through the garage all by himself before, and he doesn't even know the kid across the street - he's more than a year older than him and they've never once played together since they moved here last fall. So we're totally freaked out and searching all over calling their names and it's been like 15 minutes and we can't find them anywhere. I was afraid some pedophile had been driving by and seen two toddlers in the street by themselves and picked them up. But I had a calm feeling like he was okay, so I just kept praying that we could find him. I had just decided to get in the car and start driving the streets and was backing out of the driveway when one of the ladies from the park yelled that she saw them. They had gone back behind our house, down the street and across the other street, through an open gate into the usually closed off drainage pond and were standing on the opposite bank. It was cold outside and Beckham had short sleeves and no shoes, and the other boy had taken off his sweatshirt, tee shirt and hat and was naked from the waist up. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING? Even though they're so little, didn't they have some feeling that they shouldn't be running off into the wilderness all by themselves? I was so relieved, but Beckham seemed to think nothing of it and said "bye bye!" to all his new friends. After his long time-out he was back to his normal, mischevious self. Seriously, what are we going to do with that kid? But we did buy a lock for the laundry room door.

2 comments:

Jodee said...

goodness, what a story. I am so glad he is safe. Were they going to go swimming in that pond or something? Man, you guys are going to start getting grey hairs with that kid! At least he makes you laugh a lot, that will ease the stress a little.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 2 little toddler boys lots of fun