Sunday, August 03, 2008

"No Title"

Last week we had our work summer party. We went to Lake Sammamish and had a beach party with a BBQ and some fun on the lake. The boys enjoyed the sand more than anything else.





On Saturday we had our ward Pioneer celebration. It turned out to be a lot of fun playing the simple games and helped us realize that the overly complicated world that we live in is not necessary for a better life as we sometimes slip into thinking. Carson won the stick pull for the 40 and under crowd.
Marisa didn't want her husband to best her so she gave it all she could, but ended up losing to the women's champion.


We had some good friends invite us to go with them for dinner to Kanaskat-Palmer state park by our house. It was a nice 72 degrees and the boys couldn't resist the water.
Sometimes getting wet was intentional, and other times it was not...
In the end everybody (the boys at least) were naked and happy back in the car!


This week started off kind of crazy. On my way to work on Tuesday I got a call from Marisa saying that Bex broke his tooth. She threw the boys in the car and met me at work about 20 minutes after I arrived. It was true, Bex broke a tooth right off at the gum line. The two funny things are that he was happy because now he is "a big boy" like his brother who has been losing teeth and also, we still have no idea how it happened. He said he was just jumping up and down then it came out. We grilled him many times to see if he fell on the floor or ran into the counter, but nothing. The only thing we can think of is that he fell and hit it some time earlier, but it didn't come out, then when he was jumping he noticed it was loose and pulled it the rest of the way out. The root tip was still in there so something must have hit it hard enough to break it. I wouldn't put it past him that he grabbed the pliers and broke it himself then didn't tell us because he was afraid. He is a very tough kid and brought the pliers to me when Trey lost his last one...


On Monday we were supposed to have Trevor's friend bday party, but the whole family came down with a strong sickness. I have only thrown up a couple times since I was a kid and Sunday night was time number 3 or 4. Every single one of us threw up so our house was not a pleasant place. On Saturday night we went to a movie with some friends when Caeden was the first to start with the sickness and we didn't know what we were dealing with yet. Here is a picture of the babysitter's clothes when Caeden threw up "twice his body weight" on the babysitter. We felt bad because his mother had to bring him over a change of clothes and he showered at out house. We made it up to him by giving him some extra $ as part of his hazard pay.
We postponed Trey's party to Thursday because of all the sickness and it turned out great. The best part was that I finally found a place with a Wii instock. Costco, Target, etc. had all been out for a while, even many places online were out of stock if their price was reasonable. One of the Targets got a shipment in and we were able to get it for him that night. Last Christmas Trey wanted a Wii and we told him that Santa doesn't bring our family gifts that big for kids his age. He would have to save up and maybe he could get it for his Bday or next Christmas. We thought that would be a good way to push it off so that he would stop bothering us about it. We were amazed to see him save all his Christmas money, all his money from regular chores, extra chores that he asked to do and this year's bday money until he had enough (for half b/c we said we would pay the other half if he saved that much). He did it and had a little extra for a Sonic game, his favorite!


On Friday we went for a picnic in a park in Bellevue after I had my meeting with the bank for the business loan (now that I am finally getting started on the tenant improvements). The bank personnel have followed me on this 2 year delay so meeting with them was like meeting with old friends. Every few months they have called to see if we should meet and I have had to say about 10 times, "No, it looks like it will be just a few months more." In the end they were so impressed with my business plan and pro forma they suggested that I should start teaching a class on how to present for small business loans. That made my whole weekend!



We are passing major milestones in the progress of our new house. For the first time yesterday we were able to pull both cars in the garage! I put together some filing cabinets and book shelves that allowed us to move some more office storage boxes out of the garage. That makes me very happy because I am a clean garage nazi. Buying and putting together the filing cabinets was the last major thing to do for the inside of the house. Now we just have a few minor things, it only took 4 months :(

We are almost done with the outside of the house too. This week we finally get the gates put on (that was supposed to happen over 6 weeks ago, but we had a hard time getting the fence guy to come back). After they get put on we will stain the fence, get a little more topsoil and we're done with the outside for this year! Can't wait to scratch those things off the honey-do list and remember what sitting on the couch felt like.

14 comments:

Jodee said...

I think we are starting to get that same bug here... Madison was up all night and this morning throwing up... Luckily she is pretty good about hitting the bowl or toilet. Poor babysitter!

Jodee said...

ps- I am loving those pictures of Marisa and the stick pull; such a cute little grunty face she has!

Carson Calderwood said...

Jodee, I'm so sorry if you got that from us. We had it last Sunday and we sanitized the house on Monday so I hope we didn't infect you on Saturday.

Sam and Josh said...

Looks like a lot of fun except for the throwing up, but your babysitter must be a trooper.

Lindsay said...

Sorry Carson, I guess my post was a little misleading. I will be teaching school in 3 weeks, not actually going to school. I should have probably clarified that a little better!!

Mr. Dizzle said...

What kind of weak-sauce pioneers do you have up that way? Losing a stick pull contest to a one legged man?
Carson, I guess it's lucky for you that I wasn't there to take your under 40 crown away.

Mr. Dizzle said...

BTW, Marisa look awesome in those stick pull shots. I love it.

Erin said...

I know this is kind of after the fact, but the best place to try to find a Wii is usually Toys R Us because they are a preferred Nintendo provider and thus get larger shipments than other stores. They are almost always in stock here in NM.

Anonymous said...

Carson, I am going through the same Wii situation with Isaac. He just saved up his half, and we ended up paying about $50 dollars more on ebay, but with the price of gas to Idaho Falls I figured it wasn't that bad of deal. The hardest part was waiting for him to save up his half. I was half tempted to buy it and have him pay me. But I figured that was teaching him to borrow not save money. BTW, you should play Isaac online in Halo 3. He beats me by about 24 kills everytime. See ya
Cousin Jayson

Carson Calderwood said...

Hey Cuz, I know what you mean...I think we were pretty easy to convince about getting the Wii b/c we both wanted one as well. I've been absent from Xbox live since the builder didn't put an ethernet jack in the living room. They won't come back and do it and I've been too busy to do it myself. Soon though, very soon.

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Caeden is getting so big! I love all of the pictures, well maybe not the throw up one.

Anonymous said...

Jayson is looking at this all wrong. Carson's surgically repaired legs are not a disadvantage, but rather an unfair advantage. He just locks his knees and those titanium reinforced rods will do the rest. Good luck beating the bionic man. Cheat! Great pictures of the boys. By the way, are you attempting each week to top the longest post ever? Another looooong post, good, but long.

Stephanie EchoHawk said...

looks like you guys had a great time, sorry about sick kids, i hate that!! hopefull we'll see you this weekend!! steph

Melain said...

Mine hasn't even picked up his Honey-do list to see what's on it. You're my hero.