Thursday, January 01, 2009

Christmas Letter 2008

I (Marisa) wrote the letter this year. We only were able to try and get the kids together for a picture once and as you can imagine, getting three boys to all keep their hair from being messy, sit still, smile....at the same time did not happen. Carson and I separately chose different pictures to edit and couldn't ever come to a compromise on which one to send. I thought Carson's incorrectly exposed one was way too dark and grainy, even though he achieved the effect he was trying for. He said he would rather send no picture than the overly exposed and therefore faux pas brown-on-brown one that I did. Which do you like?


Hi Everyone! Here’s the scoop on the Maple Valley Calderwoods:

Caeden is almost 2 and he is CRAZY. As the youngest of 3 extremely active boys he definitely knows how to hold his own. I think he must be bi-polar: either he’s jumping and dancing and charming everyone around or he’s throwing himself on the floor or screaming “no, No, NO!!!” Right now he loves making popcorn, pointing out letters everywhere we go (he calls them all “A” or “B”), Little Einsteins and Finding Nemo. He has graduated to a big boy bed and wants to be potty-trained. Our baby isn’t a baby anymore!

Beckham is in preschool and wants to be a rock star. Pretty much he thinks he already is one. The other day he said, “Mom, everyone thinks I’m awesome!” He loves Bumblebee from Transformers and says every yellow car we pass is “Bumblebee!” much to the dismay of his more specific older brother. Now Caeden does it too and points out the window yelling “Buh-bee!” Bex loves Dora and Diego, the color orange, snuggling, and building forts. He played soccer in the fall and is looking forward to basketball this winter.

Trey saved up his money over the past year and put it towards his half for a Wii on his birthday. He likes to play Sonic the Hedgehog and make Miis. He’s in 2nd grade, and loves math and art. He’s always coming up with creative new ideas. At his field trip to the Pioneer Farm, I was trying to show him how lucky he is to have so many toys when the pioneers only had a few simple toys. He said “Mom, if I were a pioneer, I would just make my own toys!” Then he explained how he could make a car out of wood, with an axle and everything. Right now he’s into Legos, Pokemon, Bakugan and Tech Decks (mini skateboards). He also played soccer and will play basketball next month.

The boys keep asking when they’re going to have a baby sister. They’re sure that if I get pregnant it will be a girl. A few weeks ago, Beckham asked me how to spell “baby sister,” wrote it on a paper, folded it up and asked me to send it to Jesus. I told him if we want to talk to Jesus we pray. So now he prays for a baby sister every day! I tell the kids if they want another baby they have to behave better, and that’s the truth!

Carson and Marisa are mostly just surviving under the stress and whirlwind that this year has been. I know that’s pathetic, but it’s true. We will be SOOOOO happy when the office is finally finished and Snoqualmie Falls Dental is running smoothly. If you want to hear the whole story, you can read Carson’s sob story on our blog about two posts back. We did get away for a couple of days in May to Baltimore (our favorite vacation spot!) so Carson could “hood” the other Dr. Calderwood, his brother Cody. Carson spent a weekend in Utah and saw BYU kick UCLA’s trash and Marisa went on a shopping trip to Portland with her friends in November. Probably the most fun thing we’ve done this year is play rock band. We got it for Carson‘s 32nd birthday in October and we love it! The kids made it out of the state to Marisa’s Pond family reunion in Idaho. It has been a crazy busy year and mostly we are just glad it’s over and looking forward to the future! We hope to never move (in the snow) or sell a house by owner in a terrible market or landscape a backyard from scratch or start a new dental practice with a 2.5 year delay and do all the design, research, purchasing and marketing ourselves or move into a perfect new house with three destructive little boys or potty-train two kids in one year again. Ever!

Best of luck to you all in 2009!

12 comments:

Scheris said...

top pic is fine and you could have sent that out. Bottom pic is fine for the blog xmas post. you guys are always looking so dang good.

Karina & John Calderwood said...

I like the top pic. The bottom one almost looks like floating heads (sorry, Carson). :)

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Sounds like a crazy year. Our first year after Cory's residency was crazy too. We started a practice and bought a new house too. I promise that things will get better. It is really stressful building your own office/practice. I can relate to the bipolar son too...we would say that about Tanner. He is now five and I wouldn't decribe him that way anymore. I am proof that there is hope for a girl after three boys too. I don't know how it happenend, but it did (at least that is what my doctor tells me, I guess we will see if she really is a she in about six weeks). I hope you have a great 2009.

Rachael said...

what a great letter! I love it. And I vote for the top picture, too. :)

lucy said...

fun post. I like the top picture. The bottom one is hard to see.

Jodee said...

I think Carson likes the bottom one because your teeth are just about the only things you can see! Here's to a less stressful 2009! Cheers!

Unknown said...

I like the top picture better too! but they both are way cute! Your boys are way cute! And I'm sure when you have that baby sister she will be georgeous. And hopefully have her moms eyes! Little girls are fun from what i know! Hopefully someday i will have a boy! Happy new year!

Britt said...

I loved that update. We guys are such a fun family and so dang cute!

Melain said...

I'm just impressed that you did a newsletter of sorts. I don't ever do that stuff and I feel like a bad suburban mom for it.

Bottom pic is better, but you can't use it cuz it's too dark. Better go top.

Julie said...

You have such a cute family! We miss you guys. Hope everythings is going well!

Nanci said...

I vote for the first picture.

Britt said...

What a year! You all look wonderful.