Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Spit up and Strawberries

On Monday I tried to give Caeden some rice cereal for the first time. Of course it was a two-steps-forward, one-step-back kind of process (like the Paula Abdul song Opposites Attract, for those of you who had the tape Forever Your Girl) but he sort of got the hang of it by the end and finished the bowl, which was probably a whole tablespoon.
He seemed to think it was hilarious to be eating by a spoon, maybe he realizes it makes him big like his older brothers. Trey did the same thing when we first started feeding him with a spoon, he just laughed and laughed.

Today we went to "Grandpa's Farm" in Hobart, not too far from our house, and I think it must have been named after the extremely old man who was telling us to stay in our rows, all the kids started calling him grandpa all by themselves. We picked a ton of strawberries, they were just so red and yummy that it was hard to stop! So far I've made 2 batches of jam, frozen 4 pans of individual ones and sliced a big bowl for strawberry shortcake and that's just one of our two flats! Seriously, what am I going to do with the rest of them? It's taken me all day and the kids and my kitchen are all sticky. Beckham was super cute and helped me pick the whole time and said "thank you!" every time I put a berry in his box, and he helped me stir the jam when we got home. Caeden just sat there in his carseat and watched us for a long time until he started to get hot and fussy. We went with our friends from the "old ward" (before the split) and it was fun to talk to the other girls while we picked. Trey was at school, he said he didn't care if he missed it but he did eat his share of strawberry jam when he got home! It was definitely the best berry picking experience I've had as a mother!

In other news, our friend Ronnie came to visit for a couple of days while he was looking for jobs in the area. We didn't take any pictures but it was fun to hang out and talk and we wish we could see him and his family more often.

3 comments:

Jodee said...

I loved that song!
Thanks for taking care of my husband for me, he had a lot of fun catching up with you guys and said he wished he hadn't have been so busy and could have seen more of you all. Maybe we will be seeing lots of each other in the near future!

I love berry season, we used to go pick strawberries and blueberries in OR about this time each year. My mom always said she had to pick double fast because my sister and I would eat more than we would put in the bucket! I am sure your boys will have good memories of picking berries too!

Chrissy said...

Yum! Your berries and jam look so good! We are going picking tomorrow and I'm already trying to think of things to do with them. I'll let you know if I come up with anything good!

Anonymous said...

Marisa, first of all you didn't have the Forever Your Girl tape, I did. And second, had? I still have it! (and the boys are so cute!)