Saturday, June 02, 2007

Sum-mer Sum-mer Sum-mer TIME!

The weather has been so nice here lately. So nice, actually, that we have decided that two summers in this 90-degree kitchen are two too many and we are getting AC next week. We took the kids to Lake Wilderness twice and to a pool this week and spent as much time as possible outside in the sun. After we got out of the pool the kids didn't want to leave so Trey put on Carson's sunglasses and chilled out on the lounge chair, staring off into the distance. Beckham had a different idea and climbed up the back of the chair after we took his swim diaper off, exposing himself to the world.

I've been training for a sprint triathlon and today was the big day. After only 5 hours of sleep I got up with the birds, loaded up the bikes with my friends and headed up to Lake Sammamish for the race. It was my first triathlon and I was a little nervous but now after doing it I'm excited to do more, even though right now I think my body is telling me otherwise. The lake was warmer than I expected and the swim went well, except that after I rounded the first buoy I didn't turn sharply enough and got off course and then I was fighting the current to get back on track. My transition was slow because I had forgotten to untie my shoes beforehand so I had to sit down and pick out the double knots. I definitely didn't do great on the bike but I knew I wouldn't, I've been a lot slower than most of the girls I was training with. All I heard the whole hour and 2 minutes was "on your left!" Maybe next year I'll rent a road bike for the race, I really like my cute new green mountain bike but today I felt like a kid on a 10-speed! After being on the bike for that long it feels so weird to run at first but I just kept running and at the halfway point I felt better so I picked up the pace and was happy with my 5K time. Overall I did about 15 minutes better than I thought I would, so I'm proud of myself but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement in my next triathlon. I liked cross-training and it was a great way to get back into shape after having Caeden. It was an amazingly beautiful day and it was so fun just to be there with all of the energy and excitement. Here's me and two of my training buddies, Tracie and Shaunie. These girls are great because they make me look tall! Just kidding, these girls truly are great. No, Shaunie's not smoking a post-race joint, I really don't know what she's doing but I looked even worse in the other picture so this is what you get!

Sister Tait, our friend from Maryland, asked for some recent pix of the boys so I tried to take some in the backyard, and then I remembered why we never post any pictures of all three of them... because I never get any good ones!

Here's what happens if you try to take pictures of the kids for too long. I love the starting-to-be-distressed, "I'm-getting-squished-and-slipping-down-at-the-same-time" look on Caeden's face. And yes, I actually haven't killed all the plants in our yard yet, maybe I can find my inner green thumb after all. Except that I got these hanging fuschias this year, they seemed like such a good idea but they require more water than my mind has capacity to remember.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know the old saying, like father like son, well I think we know where Beckham got the idea to "sun bathe". Lisa and I were laughing pretty hard when we scrolled down to that one! Congrats on the race Marisa.

Deon said...

WOW - love the photos. Cody warned me today at church about the "exposure"! SOOO funny! Thanks for taking the time to put these on for us to see. Congrats on the race, Marisa - you inspire me!
Deon

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Sorry, I realized I spelled Caeden's name wrong, so I deleted the whole comment. Congrats on your triathlon Marisa! I might have to try one myself someday. We're excited to see you guys, especially Caeden, in a couple months!

lucy said...

I'm amazed!! Didn't you just have a baby? Sounds like it was a blast. I'd love to try something like that so you might be hearing from me. I'm a terrible swimmer I'd be afraid of panicking out in the water. But, it sounds like so much fun.

Jodee said...

Congratulations Marisa, what an accomplishment! And right after a baby, you are amazing! I love all the recent pictures, Bex cracks me up, what a guy!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Congrats on the race! I was I was that motivated. The picture of Beckham is great! My number two also prefers wearing little or know clothes most of the time.

Selena said...

oh, to be free! Jeremy had wanted me to post something about 'like father like son' but I couldn't bring myself to do it, good thing brothers can take care of comments like that ;) Congrats on the race Marisa, you are amazing. I'd have passed out 2 feet from the starting line!