Monday, August 20, 2007

Journal Rollercoaster


Marisa is going to love this post when she wakes up tomorrow!

One of my few strong points in the gospel is that I have always been a good journal writer, I guess that is why I am the only guy that does a blog, but I have the hottest wife out there so I don't really care...

Anyway, the picture above is a short excerpt from Marisa's journal from the day after we met, Oct 24th 1998. I have been scanning in all of our old journals so they can be in digital form. I will put them on discs and give them to family so that if anything ever happens to our house things like this and our pictures won't be lost. We can't help but read them as we scan them, what an emotional roller coaster that can be.

One minute we'll read something that makes us happy like realizing that we really did know each other (or at least the core) well when we got married though we had only been dating 7 months. The next minute we'll read something that is extremely embarrassing. We could see it as a glass half full because of the positive changes we have made, but its hard not to think of how stupid and _____ (insert negative adjective/adverb here, they pretty much all fit) we were.

Sometimes it can be funny. On my flight back from Argentina when I finished my mission I wrote, "I didn’t have much desires to eat in the first place." If you know Spanish that is a direct translation back to English from Spanish syntax. There are many more things I could post, but to save face it ain't gonna happen. I just hope that posterity reads everything with enough love and admiration for us that they see things through a positive lens.

Back to the picture at the start. "I just want to date." Looks like that didn't happen. She didn't write about me working my smooth mojo, but at least it was all positive.

15 comments:

Lisa said...

Umm...I think Cody blogs. Or does that make him a girl if you are the only "guy" blogging? That's pretty fun looking back at old journal entries. I go through spurts where I'm really good and then points in my life where I'm not.

Ronnie said...

That is too funny. I came home the other day and Jodee had this devilish smile on her face that let me know she was up to something. She then presented to me a letter I had written her after we had been married for about a year and I had to go away for a few months for an internship out of state (summer of 2000). What cracked her up was how mushy it was. When I read it, I wondered for a minute how I could be so corny, but then the next minute I wondered if I shouldn't be writing more of those letters these days as she clearly appreciated it having saved it all these years later.

I admire you and Risa for being so good with the journal keeping. The only time I've ever been able to stick to it was on my mission. I think it is because I am long-winded, so journals are daunting to me. I will give you major props for picking up a girl in the library! October 1998 was when Jodee and I met too, though we didn't start dating till the following January. Tengo ganas de leer el proximo capitulo de tu historia de amor.

Carson Calderwood said...

Lisa, Cody does post a lot. I guess I'm used to be very similar to him so I was mainly referring to all my friends.

Ronnie, its good to see I'm not the only one that was too corny back in the day. I had the same question as you, but romantic is not a quality I have been able to develop very well.

Jodee said...

That wasn't even the begining, I could pull out many more mushy letters and cards. But your right, I loved them, that is why I kept them and all their cornyness!

This summer I found my journal from my freshman/soph year at college. Wow, what a crazy thing to go back and read. All I can say is I am very grateful for the spirit and that we have its guidance, especially at 19, thinking about getting married! We are nuts! But in all that crazyness, it is still the best decision I have ever made!

emily said...

great idea on scanning the journals. maybe some i wouldn't necessarily want to pass on to family??... its terrible but the last time I officially wrote was the night before I got married. I update every few years... stuff like: i have 3 kids now, live in memphis, b is STILL in school...

Carson Calderwood said...

Jodee, I tell that to people at work about using the spirit to get married. They don't understand how we can do it so young and have such a low divorce rate as a church.

Em, I think when we send the disc to our parents we will list it as some boring technical backup like "dental journal research articles" so no one will go snooping.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you blog. It is starting to be a girly trendy thing to do (which totally annoys me), but it is still a good thing to do. I really like being able to keep up with you guys this way and appreciate that both of you write. I have seen a few other friends' blogs where the wife mainly writes but the husband posts now and again. It's nice to have both voices.
As for mushy letters coming back out in the open. Nate doesn't write them or in a journal because then someone else might see what he felt (on in the case of your post, anyone who wants to).

emily said...

carson- good idea about labeling it as some boring info. i was thinking- had i written in my journal about the day i met brandon it would have most likely been something like this: 'there's this boy named brandon that I play with at recess. we play lightning (b-ball game) and for some reason EVERY time he gets out he throws a HUGE fit and ends up pouting on the side-lines for the rest of recess'... keep in mind- we met in the first grade! so, not too positive, but people change, right?? .... or do they?!

Carson Calderwood said...

So did B have that talent of experlatives that he now can do so well?!

Marisa said...

Carson, I think that word was a mix of superlative and expletive... could be an interesting new word! I can't believe Carson posted that journal entry of mine, maybe I'll have to do some snooping of my own and find a good one of his to post! But I am glad I wrote about meeting him. Collette, that doesn't suprise me about Nate one tiny bit. For the record, I was a great journal keeper up until I got married, then didn't write a word for over a year and now only write sparse random entries, usually when I'm really emotional about something.

Carson Calderwood said...

I googled it to make sure I was spelling it correct before posting and got a few hundred hits so I thought it was good, but maybe using google as my wood verifier isn't good strategery ;)

Anonymous said...

When I first saw 11 comments for this post, I thought "woah! That's got to be a record for one day." But then I realized that Carson accounts for 5 of them, so that doesn't really count. Funny post though. In a way I'm glad I don't have any old journal entries like that. I guess I'm alot like Nate in that department. It's alright Carson, I understand that you don't view me as a guy or a friend. Sniff, sniff. I'm ok though, somehow I'll get through it :)

Carson Calderwood said...

4...well, now five

Sam and Josh said...

You are one brave guy and Marisa I applaud you for your keeping a journal. That is so awesome.

emily said...

$%&@(*#U love, brandon