Sunday, August 12, 2007

Life as a Single Mom

Carson was at scout camp this week so the boys and I were on our own. Our friends the Kargis' were in town so we had a lot of fun. We went swimming at their hotel pool, spent a whole day at the Woodland Park Zoo, went to 2 parks, watched TMNT 3 times and had dinner at my parents' house with Uncle Pete and Grandma Nielsen. Here are 3 pix of the boys at the park at Mud Mountain Dam:
Caeden and his new love, the baby swing

Becks and his silly grin with Caeden in the background

Trey doing his favorite thing - digging in the sand and making a crazy mess
All the kids at the zoo: Beckham, Dane Kargis, Luke Collings, Trey, Wyatt Allen, Lauren Thorpe, Abigail and Shane Allen, Maggie Kargis, Eden Collings, Emma Kargis and Kate Thorpe. I guess we are missing Preston Kargis, Tucker Collings and Caeden. They were probably asleep in the strollers (thank goodness).
The boys were really good and the weather was decent so it really would have been an awesome week if I hadn't been sick. I've had something for about 10 days that has given me a relentless sore throat and dry cough with off and on fever/chills/aches. Beckham might have something similar because he's been really cranky but without definable symptoms. But Caeden and Trey seemed to have escaped it, although Caeden is teething so that kind of stinks. Carson had the same sickness as I did while he was at scout camp so that wasn't too fun for him, but otherwise they had a really great trip out to the coast that he said he post about later. Last night (Saturday) after Carson got home we went to dinner and a movie with some friends. We saw the Bourne Ultimatum and loved it as much as the first two, although I have to say it didn't end quite as I expected and I don't know what I think about that. I guess I'll have to read the books.


We finished reading the 7th Harry Potter book together at the beginning of the week and the book was amazing but we're sad that the series is over. Maybe in a few years we'll read it with the boys and get to enjoy it again. We saw the 5th movie a couple of weeks ago and we loved it too... I guess we are pretty easy to please. Or maybe we just know what we like. One good thing about Carson and me is that we like a lot of the same things, especially books and movies and music. He likes most chick flicks and I like most action adventure movies, so we can always find something we agree on, and we'd rather see movies or read books together so we can talk about them.


Carson's parents got Trey this pop-up book of The Jungle Book for his birthday and it is the most amazing 3-D book I have ever seen. You can find some directions to make easy pop-ups at http://robertsabuda.com/. Yesterday we made a bat for Trey and a castle for Becks and it was really fun, if your kids like crafts I would definitely recommend it.


Caeden is starting to eat more foods and army-crawl around. We tried the gerber corn stars and he tried his hardest to get them in his mouth: Later that day I was outside eating watermelon with the boys and the phone rang so I ran inside and when I went back out, Caeden had gone for my watermelon as fast as he could and was sucking on it, grass and all:

I really can't believe he is getting so big already. He will smile and try to catch the eye of anyone who walks by so people always say "What a happy baby!" He certainly likes attention, but interestingly he is my only baby so far who will entertain himself, whether in the jumper or just crawling around after toys and chewing on everything he comes across. I'm so happy that I don't have to take care of him every second because the other two are still so demanding. It's fun to see the 3 of them together, I love having the three boys and I wouldn't even mind having another boy, just as long as I have at least one girl so I can buy hair ribbons and skirts and girly scrapbook products and break out a can of pink wall paint!


Sorry this was such a long post, I guess there was a lot to write about. My personality is "Thorough" and Carson's is "Efficient" so apparently that applies to our blog posting as well.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous that everybody has seen the Bourne Ultimatum but us. We still haven't been able to get a baby sitter for the kids. Argh! By the way, I love the books too, but they are nothing like the movies. Really, characters that die in the first movie are critical in the third book. So don't expect too many parallels when you read them. If you go into it like that, you'll really enjoy the books for what they are and won't be disappointed because they're different from the movies.
Nice picture of Caeden by the way. Carson, he reminds me of grandpas horses when we would give them the rinds from our watermelon, and they would slobber all over the place. He looked so pleased with himself.

KatieB said...

i think my personality is "lazy"

Jodee said...

It is nice to have some recent posting from the Claderwoods, we have missed you! It looks like you made the best of the single mom week Marisa. Cute pictures, Caeden already looks different from when we saw him a few weeks ago. Give them all big hugs from us and tell them to stop growing so fast!

Anonymous said...

Caeden is so cute.
I am amazed at how well you manage those three. I think that 2 is really hard and can't even think about 3!
I liked your post. It wasn't too long. It's nice to "hear" both yours and Carson's voices.

Selena said...

Great pics! I can't believe how big Caeden is getting, time flies with #3! Glad you survived your single week, and it was nice to read a post from you! Thanks for the pop-up site, I think my kids'll love it.