Saturday, September 01, 2007

Thompson's Water Seal

So today has not been the best day. This morning I thought I would make crepes with peaches and whipped cream (sounds good, right?) but I accidentally added too much butter to the batter so I had to make a double recipe and it took me way too long and by the time we sat down to eat everyone was cranky and the boys didn't even want to eat it.

Then Carson had to go in to his office for an emergency (some guy's crown fell off) and we don't like to send him in alone because of safety/liability issues, so we got a babysitter and I went up with him. We thought we would make the best of it and go out for lunch to a place nearby where we had a gift certificate. It took Carson twice as long as he thought it would to cement the crown (the suction was down) and when we got to the restaurant, it turns out they don't serve lunch on Saturday. So we went to some Chinese place where we didn't get free drink refills.

We get home with 10 minutes to spare before Carson's friends come over for the BYU football game and Carson immediately sits down on the couch and starts an online game of Carcassonne. Sorry to call you out on that one Carson, but it's true. So I'm trying to clean up the toys, do the breakfast dishes and set up the food for the game all before they come. Trey and Becks are really excited about BYU football and they pull out all their paraphernalia (can you believe that's how it's spelled? I had to look it up) but that doesn't mean they'll sit still through even the first 10 minutes, so I have to fight them the rest of the time to keep them out of the family room so the guys can enjoy their game.

The game finally finishes and the guys go home (but of course there is a mess for me to clean up) and Carson thinks now will be a good time to put Thompson's Water Seal on the playset. He gets out my dad's sprayer that we borrowed and starts spraying the roof and then his cell phone rings. He has to go up to the office again, a 3 year old girl fell and cut her gums and broke one of her teeth. And we discover the sprayer doesn't spray a fine mist, there are big globs of water seal all over the roof of the playset so I need to find a brush and backbrush it right away before it dries in the direct sunlight it's sitting in. Right then the doorbell rings and it's our new neighbors with a bucket of freshly picked blackberries for us. Carson has to pretty much blow off the neighbors with a quick thanks, sets the blackberries on the table and leaves. I can only find a crappy foam brush so I climb up and start backbrushing, but my arms are not very long and I can't reach the middle of the roof and the baby is crying and the water seal is drying so I run to the garage, get the ladder down and get up to the very top (Trey says "that's dangerous, Mom!") to brush the rest of the mostly dry gloppy water seal. I go back into the house to wash my hands, walk out and Beckham is using the sprayer to spray water seal on Trevor, Caeden, the slide and ladder of the playset and the outdoor toy box and toys. Surprisingly I did not lose my temper but I told him that was a BIG BIG BIG no-no and put him in time out. Trey runs inside to get buckets of hot water from the sink and starts pouring them down the slide and I dunk a rag in the hot water and try to get the water seal off of everything as quickly as possible. I run back inside to get a dry rag and Beckham has gotten into the blackberries, eating them by the handful and they're smeared all over his face, his clothes, and the kitchen rug. Seriously, does anyone want to adopt a very cute and very naughty two year old??? I put him in his room for a "long time out" (the ultimate punishment for Becks) and he fell asleep after a only few minutes of crying because he didn't get a nap today. A little oxyclean on the rug and a dry rag on the slide (I don't know if it will ever be the same) brings me to the computer, typing this post. I think I'm done for the day. I'll let Carson put Trey and Caeden in bed when he gets home and maybe I will make a scrapbook page, which I haven't done in weeks, probably because I've been obsessing about appliances and trim and lighting. But that is a whole other post. I guess I'll let you know in a year if it has been worth it. I'm not really mad anymore, that was very therapeutic! Sorry for the long post (again) and no pix, I couldn't find the camera.

23 comments:

Carson Calderwood said...

Disclaimer: as far as guys care...just through out some cups and plates with the food and we are happy. That's what I did and all we expected, Risa cares about presentation so she had to make it nice.

It was funny to hear about you and your short arms. It reminds me of the T-rex in some kids movie that came out last year where he complains that he can't do something because his arms were to short. I guess that means you're stuck w/ me so that that I can get stuff down from the high shelves for you!

Carson Calderwood said...

I meant too short

Anonymous said...

I really don't mean to laugh at your adventures with Beckham, but those sound amazingly similar to our surpises/struggles with Tucker. It's refreshing to hear that others experience the same thing. We can't take our eyes off him sometimes for fear of where he will climb to or what he will do next. Other than the obvious size differences, they are so alike!

Zappe Family said...

Wow. And you all looked so composed at church today. I'm impressed! Yikes! Hopefully, you'll have a better week!

Bennett Family said...

YIKES! you should have called me to come and help! who did you find to babysit?

Anonymous said...

WOW what a day. That makes me not want to have kids! JK I am sure the good days out number those type of days.

Chrissy said...

Maybe having just girls is ok. I'll be sure to have Eric read this! You have your arms full Marisa!

Anonymous said...

Tisk, tisk, tisk. Been there, done that. Soory grampa and gramma arn't closer to help. Keep swinging, it's all worth it.

emily said...

hope the slide isn't ruined! can't believe you kept calm- i'm impressed. i think you deserve two scrapbook pages at least!

Bob B said...

That was too funny. As I read the blog, I could picture Marisa running around to find one disaster after another. :)

Good thing you ran that triathlon.

The Hunsakers said...

He just wanted to make sure his brothers were waterproofed. Stories like that make my husband think twice about kids, but I think about how funny such a story is later in life.

KatieB said...

i would have lost it.

Unknown said...

i'll take any kids how i can get them at this point! i'd just be grateful if i could have one! but, im sure someday i'll be posting about my children adventures and you'll be past yours and look back and think about what good times they were!

Jodee said...

Wow Risa, you are truly super mom! I am not sure how you guys do it with all those boys, one is enough for me, they are TROUBLE! And then you have the husband to take care of too, come on!
I love hearing about your days, even if they aren't so great! I hope you got to do those scrapbook pages, you deserve it!

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

That should be in the record books for "craziest day ever". I know I would not have been as calm as you. Good job! About the sandbox...I love having mine. It can be messy, but it keeps the boys entertained...well worth the mess. Sounds like Beckham is quite a handful!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow....when my friends came over, my wife refused to lift a finger. Good job Marisa!

Anonymous said...

If your not going to lose your temper, I'll do it for you. I'm more than a bit annoyed with Carson, but I guess it's not the first time. You're a good women and you deserve better treatment from your spouse. As for your boys, they're perfect. Who in there right mind would leave blackberries where a two year old can reach them anyways?! Anyone agree with me or is Carson getting away with murder?

Lettie B. said...

I love it! I don't love the chaos you endured, but more so that I can totally relate It is one of hose stories that you HAVE to laugh at later. Thanks for typing it all up!

Carson Calderwood said...

I'll have to do disclaimer #2 now. There is not a place in our home that is outside of the reach of this 2 year old other than under lock and key and then only when the key is around your neck and you are not asleep. Seriously, he has gotten into stuff before that was under lock and key.

Other than that, I'll usually deserve some scolding now and then. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

After reading the comment from Lucy, I wanted to come to the defense of Carson. I don't want to downplay the frustration from Marisa, but I know he does a great job at being a father and a husband. No he's not perfect, but I don't know many guys that are better than him at it. Maybe you should try to tend his kids for a day and then you'll be way less critical of him "leaving" blackberries for Beckham. As for getting away with murder, I doubt even Marisa in her most frustrated moments would ever feel anywhere near that critical of Carson. While I'm on it, I can't believe how openly critical you are being of him on HIS blogspot. One last question for you before I go, how is the view from your side Lucy? I've always wanted to know what the world looked like while trying to see it with that beam in your eye.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cody. I can't believe this is coming from you out of all people. Kudos to you.

Anonymous said...

Carson (on vacation)

Wow! You guys have greatly increased the total # of visits to my site. Keep it up and I'll start making money from the advertising.