Thursday, April 19, 2007

Rant and Rave

Two posts in one day...new record. This one has been a long time coming though. I hear the new Rod Stewart cover of the CCR song "Who'll stop the rain?" about 2 times each day on the office radio station and I cringe. I hate Rod Stewart! I don't loathe him because I like the song Maggie May that he did, but I hate him for two reasons. One reason is this remake that he did. Credence Clearwater Revival is on my top 5 favorite bands of all time because they were very influential to me as a teenager. Back then they were #1 on my music list.

Rod's cover is a weak rendition that doesn't....uhmm...I can't think of the words in my moment of frustration other than the song sucks...sorry for the language. I guess it isn't an adequate rendition of the "feel" the lyrics impart. Kind of like the Alanis version of "My Humps" that Collette posted on her blog the other day, only that was purposefully tongue in cheek where Rod's version it seems is intentional...seriously?, yes seriously! Who'll stop the rain is one of CCR's best 2-3 songs, with Bad Moon Rising probably being my favorite.



My original reason for hating Rod is not his weird hair do's that he had in the 70's when he wore leapord print spandex like a latex glove on a dentist w/ fingers so fat he scares kids. My original hate for Rod for is due to his song Forever Young and a couple of bad experiences I had w/ it at the age of 14. This is the age I stared going to stake dances and at this time they were tri-stake, so very large. There was a favorite slow song of mine called Forever Young, by Alphaville.



You might recognize it as the slow song played at the dance in Napolean Dynamite. Anyway, I loved this song back then. A couple of times I had put some money in a jukebox and saw the song title Forever Young. In my excitement and unfamiliarity w/ jukeboxes I hurried and typed in the corresponding song number w/o looking at the artist. Much to my dismay the song that played was Rod's forever young. With very little money and lots of anticipation, not getting to hear my desired version of Forever Young left me with a disgust for the funny looking man. Now this distaste has been compounded w/ his anemic rendition of a classic. I don't know who has it worse, Rod w/ his funky past or me having to suffer listening to his song every day...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You obviously have good taste in music. CCR is the best ever! One of my fav's is "Run Through The Jungle, or Have You Ever Seen The Rain. Although all are great. Did you know that the song Who'll stop The Rain was writen by John Fogerty (lead singer & song writter) on his way home from Woodstock about Woodstock.

Carson Calderwood said...

Yep, that is what makes me especially like verse 3...

Heard the singers playin, how we cheered for more.
The crowd had rushed together, tryin to keep warm.
Still the rain kept pourin, fallin on my ears.
And I wonder, still I wonder wholl stop the rain.

Makes me almost feel like I was there.

Anonymous said...

I don't mind Rod Stewart's original stuff from back in the day. I started getting annoyed with him when he started singing big band stuff..uh what??? Stick to your own music, dude.

Anonymous said...

I figured out why you hate Rod so much. Because he has way more hair than you and me put together! It's so obvious, that and you wish you could wear that unitard as well as him. J/K.