Monday, March 24, 2008

I hate moving!

I know I'm not the only one. But I just have to complain for a minute. HOW in the world are you supposed to take care of a family and pack up your whole house? I have a confession to make, something that most of you probably already know. I am totally scatterbrained. I hate it. Growing up I always thought of myself as a smart girl. I did well in school and for the most part felt good about myself. When I was 17 or 18 a guy I knew said "You know... I think you're the ditzy kind of smart." At the time I was shocked and appalled. But I have come to realize that it's way more true than I want it to be. I have a hard time remembering to feed my kids. Now you are all shocked and appalled. I don't like to admit this to Carson because he feels like our kids aren't well taken care of (but of course he is painfully aware of my inadequacies). We make projects and go on trips and read stories, but we don't always eat at regular times. I'm getting better, especially at having a regular nap time, and we have more of a morning routine now that Trey is in school. Of course I do feed the kids, but sometimes it's because Becks is climbing on the counters and getting into the snacks and I realize I should have made lunch half an hour ago. Anyway, I'm explaining this because I lose all my progress when I'm in the middle of something like moving. I hate to admit that I'm terrible at multi-tasking. I can't focus on packing and keeping the house clean and ordering appliances and blinds and updating our address and feeding the kids all at the same time. Some women can do this and not be so overwhelmed that they feel like they're going to throw up, but not me. I'm just happy to know that it will be mostly over in a week and that we won't be moving again for a long, long time.

11 comments:

Bennett Family said...

BOLOGNA! it may APPEAR that some women can do it w/o going insane, but its just an appearance! remember...we compare OUR WORST to everyone else's BEST! i think you are a GREAT mom and your kids don't look like they're starving to me! don't be so hard on yourself and LET ME HELP!!!

Zappe Family said...

I'm grateful to hear that I'm not alone! Good luck with the move!

Leslie Behunin said...

Ditto!!! You're amazing!

Jodee said...

Well at least we now know you're not perfect. You are smart, beautiful, funny, and a loving mom, wife, and friend. Give yourself a little slack, so you forget to feed the kids once in a while- no big deal! You're teaching them to be good scavengers, climbers, and self sufficient right? Besides, you can kick the pants off your husband at typing! ;)

Lindsay said...

I figure the kids won't starve, they may get super hungry, but never starve. Moving IS a crazy time, I'm glad you finally have a light at the end of the tunnel!

emily said...

i feel your pain marisa...

KatieB said...

it will all work out in the end. it always does. good luck! we've still got a few rooms to unpack!

Julie said...

Hey Marisa! It's Julie (Carlson) from good ol' Tillicum. How fun to come across your family blog! Enjoy your beautiful new house--I'm sure all the moving-in frustration will be worth it soon when you're settled and comfortable. Take care!!

Sam and Josh said...

We are on our way to moving into our new house in about three weeks, so I had to move to a rental six months ago and now again to our new house, so I know exactly what you are going through and kids can survive on just about anything, so you are doing just great.

Marisa said...

Julie, wow, it's been SO long! I would love to talk, email me at blogger@calderwood.org. I can't wait to hear what you've been up to!

Chuck Gates said...

You've moved from MD to WA... moving down the street into your awesome house should be easy compared to that. But, I do hate moving too.

In Aug 07, we moved from Maryland to California. In May 08, we moved from Orange to San Diego (two weeks before Ashley gave birth). Then in Aug 08, we moved from San Diego to Virginia (two weeks after Ashley had gall bladder surgery). That is why we decided to pass on summer jobs that would have been better for my resume and instead stay in our little town.

But it makes it lots easier when you are moving into someplace nice.