Monday, March 10, 2008

Tagged Squared

Risa tagged Jodee and then Jodee tagged me. She already tagged me a year ago so I can't ignore her twice. But, before I do that, I love competition and see if you can best me on this...

86 words

Speed test


I really think I can do better, but it is too late to do more than a few tries tonight. The best thing is that fancy fingers Marisa the piano player has always thought she was faster than me the computer nerd. Tonight, the nerds won!

Anyway, back to the tag...

A- The rules of the game are posted at the beginning.
B- Each player answers the questions about themselves.
C- At the end of the post, the player then tags 3 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

The questions:
10 years ago...
5 things on my to-do list today
5 Snacks I enjoy
What I would do if I were suddenly made a billionaire
3 of my bad habits
5 places I have lived
5 jobs that I have had
5 Things people don't know about me

10 years ago...
- I had been hit by a car two months ago, just got out of a wheel chair, still peed in a jar at night (wide-mouth Mason) that my sweet sister and mom would haul to the bathroom for me. My journal from 3-10-98 said that I bought a good luck charm for my then girlfriend so that she would win the NCAA women's three point contest that she was going to be in shortly and I failed a math quiz in Calculus, the only class I kept that semester after getting hit by a car. My mom would help lay me down in the back of her SUV so I could keep my crushed leg elevated, then drive me to Provo for my class and drive me back home.

5 things on my to-do list today
1 - finish getting the estimates from the fence builders, front yard landscaper, hydroseeders and decide who to use
2 - give new address to driver's license, insurances, magazines, amazon, gap, old navy, roboform, credit cards, friends/family, bank, mortgage company,

3 - design sprinkler system and reserve or order bobcat, roller, blinds, hyrdroseed, topsoil, uhaul for Portland, uhaul for move
4 - verify everything is completed and correct with lender and title company
5 - update business plan and pro forma for business loan

5 Snacks I enjoy
- Costco's chocolate covered almonds
- sugar snap pees
- chips and salsa
- Starbuck's Vanilla Creme Steamer
- sipping brothy soups

What I would do if I were suddenly made a billionaire
- pay off my school loans, not take out huge business loan, pay off the new house, let Marisa start her own business, start a scholarship for BYU predental students that pay for all of school by themselves like I did, buy a ranch in Snoqualmie Valley for my parents, buy a 67' mustang for my dad and a 2009 mustang for my bro, not buy anything for my sister because she already has everything and put the rest into a hedge fund for Ronnie to manage and run a charity with the yearly earnings.

3 of my bad habits
- the closer I am to a person the more critical I am of them
- I am a research/spreadsheet nazi. It has made me spend literally hundreds of hours researching everything for the new house and practice at the expense of time with my kids and wife
- I use the pain in my left leg as an excuse to not exercise and it depresses me that I am in such bad shape.

5 places I have lived
- Maple Valley, WA
- Maryland: Owings Mills two different apartments and one for three months in the semi-ghetto
- Provo and Sandy, UT
- Argentina
- Victor Idaho

5 jobs that I have had
- Dentist, Dental Assistant, Lab tech for ortho lab
- College: window washer, car detailer
- Concrete cutter
- shop boy for a car dealership (wash, detail, transport cars)
- Dishwasher, buser at Frontier Pies

5 Things people don't know about me
- I kind of talk so much there isn't much people don't know about me other than the following story, which is a little scary to write...
I moved from the "poor" West Side of the SLC valley to the "rich" East Side where I went to school with people like Larry H. Miller's kids and was made fun of for wearing my "cowboy shirts" to school. I already didn't have a lot of personal confidence and this made it even worse. I used to dream about the time I would get into middle school because I would be with the sons of my mom's best friend and knew that at least then I would have someone who liked me in school. After dealing with this for a few years I finally was able to begin to get confidence after reading the first part of Alma 38:12 and all of Ether 12:27 at age 14 or 15. I decided that if I wanted to start getting girls to date when I turned 16 and prepare to be a confident missionary and future business person that I had to overcome this issue. I worked hard at it, then as a Junior (age 16) had lots of immediate success in wrestling, had one of the best looking girls in the school want to be my girlfriend and I started to do much better in school. Still to this day I see myself as the scared little boy and am still amazed when people like me or see me as confident.

I'm a guy so I tag the only other three guys that I know even post on their blogs: Cody, Chuck G., Zach.

12 comments:

Jodee said...

Awe, thanks Carson. I like reading these things, I really did learn more about you. Some I am glad to know, some I am not. I don't think I can look at a mason jar in quite the same way.

Carson Calderwood said...

Sorry, Marisa said that I shouldn't post that, but I thought what better way to show the effort my family put forth to help me when my two bones were broken so badly (9 different large pieces and uncountable smaller pieces that resorbed away) that I couldn't move very far w/o my leg turning purple and the percocet not being strong enough for the pain.

Leslie Behunin said...

Someone else who loves Steamers!!!! :) I'm kind of a fan of the Hazelnut, too!

emily said...

ok so i tried the speed test and i am sad to admit i got a 44 the first try and 65 the next- but i have a bad habit of backspacing until the word is perfect so that uses up a lot of time, AND whatever happened to just typing "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country"??? remember that one? I will try again... and I'll let you know if I improve! Im impressed with your 86! about the jar thing... brandon's dad used to make them go in a bottle in the car... mason jar seems much easier! also... you know the ladies always love a good cowboy shirt!

Bennett Family said...

awwwwww.......you're not a geek to me! i'm glad you don't wear cowboy shirts anymore though! ;)


ps i got an 81 first try on the typing test. i should be able to do better to b/c i used to be a medical transcriptionist!

Nanci said...

At least you did not have to live at the lovely Morningside Heights neighbor"hood."

Erin said...

I like the idea of the dental scholarship...I mean with as many people who graduate from BYU pre-dental it seems like something that could be started and that we all could contribute too.

Carson Calderwood said...

I guess I can't beat that score. I have gotten 84 a few times, but I can't even get 86 again. :(

Glad to know I'm not seen as a geek by all.

Rachel said...

So how is your leg now? Glad you did the surgery? bri and i are interested...you know. by the way, what business would marisa like to start?

Carson Calderwood said...

I am so glad that I did the surgery. Before that the length discrepancy was causing a lot of SI joint slippage and ensuing pain. Since the sx I have not had hardly any pain at all in my SI joint. I will always have bad pain in my Tib/Fib though.

I would want Marisa to start her organic, sanitized playland, premade so its fast food restaurant.

KatieB said...

i have been waiting for pictures of your new house! where are they?

Carson Calderwood said...

It will be done for our walk through on Friday so we will take some pix and post them then.