Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I'm just a little boy!


Lately, Beckham has been nearly impossible. That he's a "handful" or in the "terrible twos" doesn't even begin to describe it. He has been making messes literally faster than I can clean them up, yelling at us, and not responding to any punishments. He has gotten into a lot of trouble the past couple of weeks pulling the books off his bookshelf and also making "barricades" to doorways with pillows, chairs, and whatever else is close at hand. I took all his books away and have given him some "long time outs" in his room but it hasn't seemed to help.


So this morning in a total time of about 30 seconds he barricaded the entrance to his room with a huge pile consisting of all his pillows from his bed, the toy bins that were left on his bookshelf AND the shelves and ALL of the clothes out of his dresser. I said that was a very big no-no and we were going to clean it up right away. First he laid down on the pillows and said he was "too tired." I got him to start handing me clothes to put away in his dresser but then he ran downstairs. I ran after him and he yelled at me in his meanest voice "No Mommy! No clean up!" So I decided it was time to pull out the hot sauce. Having seen his older brother receive this punishment a few times, he thought it would be fun and promptly stuck out his tongue. After I put the drop on it, he fake-cried for a few seconds to mimick Trevor and then his eyes got wide and he started crying, "It's too spicy!" After calming down, we were headed up the stairs and he turned to me and said "No more hot sauce, Mommy. I'm just a little boy!"


Where does he get it?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hillarious. I know what side of the family he gets that from. He sounds just like Carson did, only Carson was 12 years old and doing that! Just kidding Carson.

Zappe Family said...

Beckham is quite the character! I can relate to your dramas with Bex. Mitchell has been doing crazy stuff lately as well and I've blown it "as a Mom" many times! Every night I pray that "I will be a better Mommy tomorrow," and it seems like it blow it right away in the morning when Mitchell smothers Allison or other fun things. Parenthood is great fun!

emily said...

funny story- but don't worry marisa- i think our kids are now immune to cholula.... maybe i should switch brands!?

Lisa said...

Man, Beckham sure has a lot of energy. We'll have to see if he teaches Tucker any of his tricks when we come visit.

Lindsay said...

I'll have to try Tabasco. So far we've tried soap and vinegar. Neither seem to work for Eden's punishments. Aren't the "terrible twos" awesome?!

Bennett Family said...

HILLARIOUS...marissa, you are a GREAT write! and thx for the compliments you posted on my blog--you are TOO KIND! glad to know i'm not alone in the terrible two phase...jill, lindsay, marissa, i FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of when my youngest was 2 and cut the pull strings for the window blinds. When I told him he needed to have a time out he said, "But I'm only..." and held up two fingers. I told him, "If you are old enough to know you're..." - I held up two fingers - "and you're almost..." -I held up three fingers - "then you can still sit in that chair." Believe it or not, that child has actually made it to age 16. Good luck all you mothers of "terrible twos."