Saturday, February 24, 2007

Snow Camp



I took the Varsity scouts high up in the mountains (3000 ft) and did a winter camp with them. Saturday was almost too nice. I got a sun burn and had to strip down to my thermals up top to keep from sweating too much as I dug our "snow fort" (as Trevor called it). Since I set up the camp and made the lunch for the other scouts I didn't have as much time to build ours. So I compromised and just made walls, put a tarp over the top and called it good. I was a little nervous to take a five and a half year old up, but every time we have been in the snow we have to struggle to get Trey to leave. It turned out to be a good decision. We had a great time and Trevor really like getting some special father/son time together. He never cried about being cold and played the entire time.



Here is the finished product. I put two sticks across the top, below the tarp, to avoid a roof cave in, in case we got dumped on in the night. It did snow for a few hours, but not enough to do more than help with the insulation. Trevor's socks were wet when we went to bed so I took them off. I got up before him and hiked the 300 yards back to the fire pit to get it started. I told him before I left to wait for me to bring some dry clothes down so that he could be warm when he got out of his sleeping bag. A few minutes later as I was putting some logs on the freshly started fire I saw Trey walking up. He had put his sock-less feet into his frozen boots, covered his ears with his hands that he pulled into his sweater (no coat) and walked the 300 yards up to me to tell me that he had to go to the bathroom! I asked him why he didn't wait for me to bring the clothes and he said that he was sleeping and didn't remember me saying anything. Too crazy. Here is our finished product.


Here is an igloo the scouts made and a view of the lake we were next to.

Here is my "igloo" in the morning.

Here is a view from inside.

This is Bex doing his usual monkey jump from the top of the ship at the mall. The first time we saw him start to jump we about died as we ran to him thinking he was going to get hurt doing this jump 5" up and about 4' out. You can see the top of a mother's head on the far left of the picture. Well, he came up rolling and laughing because the floor surrounding the ship is soft. Other kids wanted to do the same thing but they didn't dare. He did it over and over....we were afraid he would take that confidence to the concrete, but has shown he has better judgment. Thank goodness because that was a big fear for a while.

1 comment:

Bob B said...

The snow fort looks great. Sounds like Trevor is going to be a mountain man.